Sunday, June 22, 2014

Exciting animal sightings!

We spend hours and hours driving around each day looking for hyenas and in the process we see a lot of other amazing animal species. After spending 11 months in the Mara I figured I had seen all that I was going to see out here.

Well, I was very wrong and I have been extremely lucky with stumbling upon rare animals recently. A few weeks ago Maggie and I had a great caracal sighting. We were coming down the hill near camp and I happened to look out of my window at just the right time and there was a small brown cat with the characteristic tall ear tufts! I was extraordinarily excited about not only seeing a caracal but being able to just sit and watch it for a few minutes. Just last night when we were driving back to camp after obs we saw a caracal (probably the same one) run across our driveway! Looks like it is sticking around and lucky for us it is in our camp!



Tonight I had one of the most exciting sightings I've had since coming out here. I was driving through Happy Zebra Territory on the way to our den when I saw a very large antelope that looked unfamiliar. It was a really surreal feeling to not immediately recognize a species of mammal this size. It took a little while for my brain to register what I was looking at. I snapped some pictures and wracked my brain trying to figure out what this guy was. I eventually remembered the Mara Conservancy logo and a story I heard about the roan antelope being pretty much locally extinct in the Maasai Mara but it was a conservation goal to try and bring them back.  After a little research I was able to be sure that I did in fact see a roan antelope! Roan antelopes used to be much more common in the Mara but other than one sighting last year they have been absent for around a decade. 



It is so encouraging to see a species return to an area that it used to inhabit. Hopefully through continued conservation efforts these beautiful antelopes will return to the Maasai Mara and thrive here once again. 

No comments:


Michigan State University | College of Natural Science